Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Anyone know anything about this car?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #29
Roushturboedzx3
I Fab Too Much

Fan#: 42814
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Gray ZX3

Points 14,483, Level 78
Points: 14,483, Level: 78 Points: 14,483, Level: 78 Points: 14,483, Level: 78
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 20 Roushturboedzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusmaniaczx3 View Post
im confused then because i know for a fact tom ran a lentech in his drag car that made over 700whp/tq and he then sold that trans which eventually made it to a friend of mine who is still running it at the 425whp/tq range daily. as of a few months ago he has put 30k miles on the car with the lentech with hundreds of track runs with no issues. that already beat the twin disk in longevity. what was it you told me? i will be lucky to get 15-20k miles out of the twin disk? and you also told me that the twin disk is very finicky and tough to drive where as the lentech is not. make up your minds! obviously i dont know anything about the twin disk from personal experience! why the hell do you think ive been pestering the ever loving shite out of you guys for the last 2 months? and lentech CAN make a ATX hold over 700whp/tq upon special request. i spoke with them over the phone a few weeks ago and they quoted me $4200 for one. the terminator that they offer on their site is rated at 500whp and is $3k. let me factor in cost on the two with ATX vs MTX here

ATX $4200. it has EVERYTHING ready to go.
MTX from a junk yard $200. quaife LSD $900+, twin disk clutch $1400, so already we are at about half the price of the lentech. but how many times are you going to have to replace that clutch? because this is a money spent over time deal as well. the lentech can get over 70k miles if its very well taken care of and you dont abuse it all the time. how many clutches would you have to replace in 70k miles?

im not trying to be an ass, im just taking the information that i have gathered and making the most logical assessment that i can with what i have. if the information that i gathered is wrong then my assessment is wrong, plain and simple. but as of now i have to go off the information that other people give me because i have no PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with either the twin disk OR the lentech as of right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosvtfocus04 View Post
Ill pick twin disc. Of course it will be hard to drive at first since it is very graby. I've driven a twin disc and yes it was hard for a couple of times but I got used to it very quickly and it wasn't that bad to drive.

Also, (Roush can correct me if I'm wrong) you can either send the twin disc back if went out and they will send you a new disc for quarter of the price.

As for Tom's 700whp drag car, is there any proof???
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusmaniaczx3 View Post
ask him about it. it got him 10.95 on radials, not slicks. could have gone very low 10s or high 9s i bet if he would have really launched the crap out of it on good tires but he built that car to be capable of driving from his house to the track and back. he wasnt a fan of having to replace snapped axles and motor mounts every time he went out and having to trailer the car.

and thats interesting about the twin disk but still, how long does it last?? if that is the case then i will happily admit defeat and take the twin disk over the ATX. but that is provided that i even WANT any more power than what the fx400 can handle.

Alright Twin disk time lol

Twin at first for Chris (when he bought my car) said it was difficult for him to get use to the clutch after never driving a TD car before, Me on the other hand have driven them and it came very easy for me. Chris now has gotten use to the clutch and will say its just as easy to slip and drive it as a normal clutch, The difference is getting use to a totally new way of how the clutch feels and what it likes, once you get past that then its the best purchase you will ever make. TD clutch life according to CM says you should check it at 15-20k miles and see how much life is left. I will only comment on how it last after looking at my old cars clutch when it reaches that mileage, hell it might last much longer then 20k miles since now it only sees street use. So as of right now no one knows how long they will last, But the best thing about them is they are rebuildable for 300.00 you will get all new disk and springs so that in its self saves huge money.

Lentech

Honestly the only lentech i have been able to touch is mikes, which has a price tag of over 6000 dollars for the terminator one with out transbrake so it is already over 4times more expensive then a twin disks. Auto trans need to be freshen up also so that would mean sending it out to lentech at whatever they charge to replace, the wet clutches, drums, whatever is worn at $xxx dollars. I cannot comment on there reliability as mike has does not have enough miles and honestly i only trust what i have personally seen, a trans will last longer doing shitty 60fts, i wanna see how long it last when you push it. We will find out on Mikes car thats for sure. going for atleast low 1.6 60fts.

So to wrap it up i still feel the twindisk is a much better option, until i can see how mikes trans hold up finger crossed cause we wont be easy on it.
I may not be the baddest, but the baddest dont Fu** with me