Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2001 focus zx3 manual trans clunking barely engages
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #33
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109390
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZX3 Dark Shadow Gray

Points 369, Level 7
Points: 369, Level: 7 Points: 369, Level: 7 Points: 369, Level: 7
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FoMoCus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Look, don't be an . I don't appreciate your comments and frankly I'm not going to listen to you insult people over a computer. I'll report it if I have to, but just be an adult. It's not the gears that run the cv shafts. Its the spider gears, or side gears as Ford sometimes calls them. And it isn't that I don't want to return the sohc trans, I could care less about that, I can do it for free and I have no shame in doing so. It's because I don't feel like going through the work of pulling another transmission if I have the parts right in front of me. Regardless of how "easy" it is to do in the junkyard, I don't want to if I don't need to. Also keeping my transmission has the personal bonus for me of knowing how many miles are actually on every component, because with the digital odometer I don't know how many are on a junkyard donor.

I can't find a part diagram so I can't check to see if the part numbers match. I'll be pulling the gears out to get a better look at them sometime this week. I'm not going to install them if they aren't correct, but if they are it will be good for other's reference in case someone has trouble finding these ring gears. I couldn't find them anywhere online short of buying an entire limited slip ring gear setup. Mine looks about just like this guys.. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4392861

And I will still be exchanging the sohc trans after I get through with it, but my goal is to repair my stock transmission and have a spare junkyard trans sitting on the bench I can clean up and maybe put a LS into. My stock one is cleaned out well and with new spiders should be fine, but should something else go wrong down the road I'll put in the donor.