Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - focus is dead:(
Thread: focus is dead:(
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well, unless GM changed the location of the alternator (up top near the firewall), you'll have fun changing the alternator. The process might seem unnerving, but that's how you do it- unbolt the motor strut bars, put it in reverse, and have an assistant put a block of wood between the firewall and the engine. You have to do it though.

GMs and Fords- as well as all manufacturers- have their sillinesses and advantages. GM will keep parts forever, and use them in everything. It was well into the 90's- maybe into the 00's before GM quit using that same old MAP sensor they've had since the 80's. The starters- well those are the same, although the gear box might be rotated with the motor.

I hate the 2.8 60 deg GM V6. That's what you have with a little more stroke. If you ever have to remove the crankshaft pulley- you'll need to sacrifice a balancer puller. It will come off with the next one. I highly suggest sanding the crank snout so it won't kill a balancer puller.

There are some good things about GMs. For example, motor swaps are much easier. You want a 3.8? No problem. Everything will do it, and all GM FWDs have the same engine/trans bolt pattern. You can probably find a car model- Buick Regal maybe- with the engine you want, and all the wiring without much of an issue. Newer GMs might require some programming, but I doubt it. That's not GM's style. Everything is likely easy swap with a little research.

Ford silliness? Oh, they can't keep their hands off anything, and will change stuff for no good reason at all. I can't begin to add up how much engineering money was wasted on 2 piece spark plugs, and then how much more to design a removal tool for when those broke. Then of course, the warranty repairs as a result. Ford has no unified engine/trans bolt pattern like GM- and there's no sense not to do it.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.