Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Financing a car, questions
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
Nik00117
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58749
What I Drive: 2011 Fusion SEL, 2010 Road Glide

FF Reputation: 0 Nik00117 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
I have some questions about financing a car. I've never financed a car, always bought them by paying all at once. Also never bought from a dealer.

I've been approved for a loan up to a certain amount. I was told this is the best way to go, because it gives you a little advantage at the dealer vs. going through their bank. It supposedly lets me talk the price down easier because I basically have a blank check in my hand. Is this true?

Another thing is title, taxes, fees, etc. Is this paid up front on the spot, or does it get added into your payments for the car?

Also, how much do dealers usually budge on a used car? For instance, I'm looking at (among other cars) a '07 Mazda MX5 with 91k miles. It's listed as $12,944. What if I said give it to me for 12 out the door (meaning including taxes, fees, etc).
I sell cars for a living

1. Great job getting approved ahead of time! Have that check on your persons at the time of purchase. I gotta tell you at the time of the sale that makes such a huge difference.

If you can pay on the spot it makes a HUGE difference because you've removed so much uncertainty from the deal. And that makes it easier to get the price lower.

Don't be scared of dealer financing, let them make you an offer. Sometimes dealer financing can be a better deal then your own bank. If it's not then you stick with your bank.

2. Know what the car is worth and set a price that you will be happy with. Example if they say it's $12,944 and your happy at $12,000 great work towards that. However maybe they will go lower, hold your cards to the chest.

But also know what is a stupid price, and what a respectable price is.

3. Don't be afraid of walking out of the door, that is the most powerful thing a customer can do.

Will a dealer sell a car for a lose? Sometimes it depends on how badly he wants to get rid of the car. If let's the car is popular and he has a ton of buyers for that car he's not going budge. But if it's been on the lot awhile there is more room.

4. Haggle out price first, and then throw TTL on top. Don't haggle on anything BUT the car price. TTL is based upon car price anyways so the lower TTL the lower your overall out the door price is.

Keep the different parts of the deal seperate.

Example:

You got your price
You got taxes
You got your trade in
You got your finance

Keep all of that separate don't let them combine it. If you let them combine it they can find ways to pad it. And remember they do what your about to do on a daily basis. I handle car deals all day long.

I would encourage you to test them until you get to the bottom line. At some point the dealer is going get fiesty and say "Look enough is enough"