Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Aftermarket Seats & "The Airbag Light" 05+?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
USARice
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56127
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST, DD and AutoX

Points 2,305, Level 29
Points: 2,305, Level: 29 Points: 2,305, Level: 29 Points: 2,305, Level: 29
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 USARice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Aftermarket Seats & "The Airbag Light" 05+?

Okay, so after spending hours reading through threads about this that and the other thing both on here and FJ on installing aftermarket seats I'm starting to wonder if I have made a big mistake....

I just today paid for a "new" set of Corbeau A4's with brackets from a FJ member and got a heck of a deal on them. I have always wanted "racing" seats and since the side bolsters are starting to wear out on the seats in my '05 ST I figured now was as good of a time as any. Unfortunately I didn't think that the airbag situation was going to be as big of a deal as it has become. I just figured I wouldn't have side airbags anymore. No big deal.

That having been said, I plan on using the stock seat belt and buckle harness, so I know I won't get the "seat belt nanny" warning. I am however worried about the front airbags not working. Not so much that I am concerned for myself but because I know my wife will probably be concerned about the fact that A) the light won't turn off, and B) we do occassionally have reason for our oldest son (9) to ride in the front seat. I have been in 2 rollovers in my life and neither time had airbags. I hit a few deer head on in my old Taurus and the airbags never even deployed so like I said, I have little concern myself.

In the threads I have read there is mention of switching over the pass side pressure sensor, I am pretty sure that is the route I will end up going to make sure that the pass side airbag is turned off when appropriate. However, doing so becomes useless if I can't find a way to make sure that the system is tricked into thinking the side airbags are still intact. There seems to be some debate whether the front airbags will even ignite if the airbag light is on. Furthermore, all of the workarounds I have read up on either seem to work for some and not for others, or utilize parts that no longer exist (or are for 04 and earlier models). I can't seem to find a model number for a 05+ simulator and even the 04 and earlier one seems to be discontinued. I have read nothing but negative things about AirBagSystems and don't want to spend money on something that's not going to work anyways, especially considering people have said they've had a hard time getting their money back when it doesn't work.

Surely I cannot be the only person with an 05+ that wants to put aftermarket seats in and either A) still retain front SRS, or B)doesn't want that light there as a constant reminder of their "impending doom". lol

Help?