Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - The Skeptic's Magnaflow Catback Review
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Fluffy6079
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104589
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Gray ZX5

Points 256, Level 5
Points: 256, Level: 5 Points: 256, Level: 5 Points: 256, Level: 5
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Fluffy6079 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The Skeptic's Magnaflow Catback Review

I'm one of those people who are naturally doubtful. I can't help it. I read review after review of a product before I put down money. It doesn't matter how big or small it is, I always have to research and find out all that I can before making a big decision.

So, after much debate and research I bought the Magnaflow catback for my 2002 ZX5. Even after the purchase, I was skeptical of everything to come. Most reviews I read sounded like installation would be a breeze. Still, it sat in my garage for a few weeks while I mustered up the courage (and doing more research) to get started.

I can honestly say that once I got the factory exhaust system out of the way, installation was a piece of cake. Removing the factory system took time, mostly because I don't have anything that makes cutting easy. So, after hand-sawing the old off, prying everything from the rubber mounts, and unbolting the rest I had it made. I did the whole thing on my back, in my driveway, and with simple tools and surprisingly had no leaks!

In the end it sounds great, fits like a glove, and has a great sound. It's honestly not loud at all, which is a relief for me (and my wife). In truth, I can't tell much of a difference in the noise level at all while I'm driving. So if you're looking for a loud system, this is not the one for you. Personally, I really enjoy the subtle deep rumble my car has now. It's not in-your-face loud and isn't something that's going to draw a lot of attention.

I was probably most impressed by the fitment, however. Years ago I installed a dual Magnaflow catback on my 2003 Cavalier and the fitment was terrible. the pipe sagged in the middle and the mufflers were sort of awkward. After this experience I think the fitment differences can be attributed to the automotive manufacturers. I don't remember my Cavalier having that many rubber hangers. On my Focus, the whole thing felt solid, even before I cranked down the clamps.

So there's my experience! If there are any skeptics out there, take it from me and believe what's already out there about this catback. You'll love it.