VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Yeah, well the DMFs wear out with the clutch- that's the biggest problem with them. If you go back with a DMF the advantages are longer clutch life, smoother engagement, and easier low rpm engagement. The disadvantages you already know.

Exedy makes a 13lb steel replacement, but I have read that you want their clutch behind it for some reason. I have also read that Exedy will modify the flywheel for you to fit whatever clutch you want. No matter what you do, a clutch is expensive for a Duratec engine. I'm not sure if I will go for a solid steel replacement, aluminum (8lbs), or a factory DMF. That will depend on whether or not I change my engine when I change my clutch. Hopefully the clutch I have will last long enough for me to get the money up for a performance build engine at the same time. I'm not sure about all that either- it seems to me that lightweight flywheels and high spring rate clutches end up with shorter clutch life. It could be the drivers too, or that you just want to drive it like that because you can.
A friend that worked in Focus development said that even the NVH guys said the dual phase really wasn't necessary. If your going to use poly engine mounts with a light FW it might be pretty objectionable.

Actually my car performs pretty well with the DP. I have a FS Werk CAI and will next add a tube header and 2 1/4 exhaust system. I drive this thing about 60 miles a day so I need reliability.