View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #87
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105006
What I Drive: 1979 MG MGB, 2008 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 3 79mgb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Hey everybody. I'm back! We've made a lot of progress on the build and I have a lot of parts photos.

I was able to paint the block a few days before the wedding. I started by cleaning the block as well as possible by using some Marine Clean and some wax & tar remover. Then I just brushed on some gloss black POR-15 top coat. It's extremely glossy and dried hard as a rock. It should hold up much better than rattle can paint. Currently most things on the engine are just mocked up. The head is just sitting on the block with the junkyard valve cover and the windage tray and oil pan are just held on with a few bolts.

If you spotted it from the first picture, I'll be using an oil filter relocation kit from Summit Racing (p/n: TRD-1113). It'll give me plenty of clearance from the chassis rails. My dad was nice enough to get this for me while I was gone.

The windage tray needed modification to make room for the starter so I cut the sides of it off since they were unnecessary for my build. Both sides look about the same.

I cleaned and spray painted the water pump housing with the flat aluminum VHT high temp paint. I still REALLY like how easy that stuff is to paint with. I also ordered a new Motorcraft water pump (p/n: PW368) while I was gone since mine was busted. Dad and I have it installed to the water pump housing but the pulley and the housing are only mocked up and held on by a few bolts for now. I still need to get a new idler pulley and belt tensioner.

You can see the original cylinder head for the engine in the background. I might clean it up and sell it later.

I also ordered some Stage 2 Comp cams. They were purchased on this forum from Earls32 and they're still brand new in the box. They look like they'll work very well for what I'm after. He also sold me new ARP cam bolts and camshaft seals. I just need to buy some adjustable cam gears. I'm hoping to get some Fidanza's.

INTAKE
GRIND #: ZT 272S-112
VALVE ADJUST: .006
GROSS VALVE LIFT: .381
CAM LOBE LIFT: .381
ADV. DUR. @ .006 VALVE LIFT: 272
VALVE TIMING @ .050. 2- BTD 50 ABD
THESES SPECS ARE FOR THE CAM INSTALLED FOR INTAKE @ 112.00 CENTER LINE.
DURATION @ .050. 228

EXHAUST
GRIND #: ZT 272S-112
VALVE ADJUST: .006
GROSS VALVE LIFT: .381
CAM LOBE LIFT: .381
ADV. DUR. @ .006 VALVE LIFT: 272
VALVE TIMING @ .050. 42 BBD 6 ABD
THESES SPECS ARE FOR THE CAM INSTALLED FOR EXHAUST @ 112.00 CENTER LINE.
DURATION @ .050. 228

I'll update more later tonight about how we're going to adapt the Zetec to the T-5.