mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
Thanks Cory. Something that needs to be put into perspective on this issue is that the dealer I go to, Krieger Ford in Columbus, Ohio is the second oldest continuously owned dealer in central Ohio and is probably in the top in cars sold and according to the tech this was the first one they had seen with this issue. So we should all bear in mind that while this is an issue it isn't as bad as it appears due to the fact that even though a lot of people post here it is actually only a small percentage of the units on the road. As I said earlier there was a large amount of oil present in the bellhousing due to the tight fit of the transmission to the engine so it is possible to have this condition and not have a visible leak. I think that Ford should consider a new procedure to diagnose this condition like removing the starter to look for oil in the clutch area or drilling an inspection hole in the bellhousing and installing a removable plug for future inspections. If Ford would do more to own this particular problem they would find their customers a little more understanding and more willing to work with them. We need to face the fact that this is still a new concept and since Ford did do a poor job of explaining it to potential buyers they need to understand that the majority of buyers were unwitting partners in development. I'm glad that my dealer treated me better than the horror stories on this site and I never had to pm my VIN to "escalate this" to have it handled. Ford and the dealers need to have a serious discussion on how to handle customers and put more owners in my column.
the dual clutch transmission has been in successful use by vw-audi for many years, and so has Getrag-who makes the ford version.
I had a vw gt in 2006, and the transmission had been out at least a few years.

Ask any vw-audi owner with this transmission..."normal" is a slight and mild shudder when shifting at very low speeds. Clatterng noises and/or major bogging down is "not" normal for this world-wide used type of transmission.

From reading hundreds of posts about transmission problems, I suspect diamondback has hit the nail on the head.

Last edited by mr_cassandra; 02-17-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: adding more info