Success! (Sort of.) I have the brake lights working. I checked and rechecked everything I could for the brake lights and gave up fixing it for real after about 4 hours of looking. So I took a piece of speaker wire and 2 tap splices and ran a wire from the downstream side of the brake pedal switch (green/red I think) to the green/yellow wire at the connector in the left side of the trunk. Everything worked perfectly including all 3 brake lights and they even worked correctly with the turn signals and hazards. A little ghetto, but I don’t care because I can drive the car. (Plus it has 150,000 miles, so my “don’t give a *$%^” is running in full capacity mode.)
This thread has a picture of the connector I spliced into (the picture was actually posted by you, TerryB):
On to the reverse lights next week hopefully.
Adam, thanks for the tip. That’s where I’m going to start (since I now know that EVERY fuse in the car is good). I gave it a visual check last night since I knew I had it unplugged when I swapped the clutch and it’s in there. I’ll yank it next week and test the contacts and whatnot.