Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I do have this issue.

My point is that you cannot say that the clutch assembly definitively needs to be replaced just because you hear the rattling ("grinding") noise without knowing the exact nature of this noise.

Certainly there are some people that have damaged clutches (that should be replaced) and are experiencing this noise on a regular basis.

Empirical evidence suggests that this noise may be a symptom of clutch problems in some cases but is not the actual cause of clutch problems.

Well - I'm not a mechanic so I don't know the exact cause and effect but I do know enough to confidently say that the noises I heard with my original clutches are not normal in any way in a properly working transmission and therefore should be replaced by the dealer no questions asked which was the case for me and which is the case for others posting on this very thread as we speak (see previous post to this one). Ford is recognizing the issue and is replacing clutches to resolve it which makes me wonder why some are experiencing dealers who continue with the "it's normal" line and refuse to take action. I recognize that there could be other noises that are a symptom of other issues but the remarkable number of posters here that over and over again describe the distinctive "grinding" noise that relates to this issue really does point to a common defect in all of these vehicles (at least all of the 2012 ones). As new car owners in this day and age I don't think it is expecting too much to have a very smooth shifting auto transmission that lasts for the life of the vehicle. After my clutch replacement this what I now have and hope it stays that way but if not I'll be in for another replacement.