Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
If yours does not have this issue, congratulations, you have a good one, however, for those hearing grinding from the transmission on shifts, it is NOT a harmless normal noise as you inferred earlier. The noise I experienced was the same as many many others have described on this board. When my tech replaced the clutch, he commented on the work order that the old one was "worn out" (this after only 12k km of light driving). I saw another post here indicating the replaced clutch was described by a tech as "shredded". To suggest this kind of noise is normal is ridiculous - it is the sound of your transmission parts wearing out at a highly accelerated rate.
I do have this issue.

My point is that you cannot say that the clutch assembly definitively needs to be replaced just because you hear the rattling ("grinding") noise without knowing the exact nature of this noise.

Certainly there are some people that have damaged clutches (that should be replaced) and are experiencing this noise on a regular basis.

Empirical evidence suggests that this noise may be a symptom of clutch problems in some cases but is not the actual cause of clutch problems.