Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 08 s Projection HID problems
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
tucls
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108695
What I Drive: 2008 ebony black s coupe 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 tucls Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Over the past couple of weeks some things came to light with my aftermarket headlights;

1st: Every mechanic and custom shop I took them too all said the same thing. Projection headlights are not originally meant to be a dual beam setup (high/low) hence why there was only a single filament bulb in the unit. The original factory headlight uses a dual filament bulb so that one bulb switches between high and low beam. So this aftermarket headlight set shouldn't have one bulb for the headlight. They were all baffled as to how it was supposed to work with a projector and a single beam bulb.

2nd: After finally getting a response from the company I ordered them from they explained why there was only a single filament bulb in the unit. Yes, there is a single beam H11 bulb (high beam). What makes it a high and low is that there is a reflective plate in the unit (all projectors have them) but in this particular setup the plate moves. None of the guys I took my lights too have seen a projection light with a reflective plate that moves, it did come up in the brain storming between a few of us. So when I have it on low beam the plate is supposed to cut off the light and then in high it allows for the beam to raise higher.

3rd: The company said that there is probably a short in one of the wires and instructed me to inspect all of their wires/work to see if there is a wiring problem. My first mechanic said while he was working on it he thought it smelled as is something was burnt. This leads me to think that there is a short, which is blowing my fuse but possibly not before burning up the motor controlling the reflective plate. I hope that isn't the case and that the motor(s) are alright.

The next step for me is to try the headlights one at a time and inspect them accordingly. If one works then that is a good step forward and I'll tear apart the other.

I will keep everyone posted and look more into this. I also called other companies and that sell the same lights made by other companies and they said that they use a dual filament bulb. I'm not sure if they do or don't with out actually looking at them but just knowing that there are projectors out there with moving internal parts is a big help because like I said my custom guys have never seen this before.