Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Zetec Swap Write Up
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #30
wavetuner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109852
What I Drive: 2001 Focus SOHC

FF Reputation: 1 wavetuner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi All, new to forum. I have joined the 2001 SHOC dropped valve seat club- # 3 intake. 150K mi -been idling wierd when warm for a year. I was the wife's car and nobody including Ford would say why it idled wierd. There is a lot of denial at my Ford dealer; but, they really worked at it to put us in a new one with iffy credit.

Is the Vin 3 2001 donor a suitable vehicle for the swap? After pulling the head and seeing the mess, piston head removed freely, rod bent and 1/8" or more cylinder gouge. Junk. Head looks rebuildable but why? Its quandry: buy a crate remanufactured SOHC and drive it till it drops. The car does'nt have a scratch or even a paint pit. I can wrench at middle skill level, have a degree in electronics and have swapped out big blocks in roomy places... This looks tiny and zero working space. I have fat fingers!

So if this is a suitable donor, what do you folks recommend? The wife bought a new one and this one is just sitting. Now its ok to wrench without potential castration ;-^) It has a year on the tags, a new battery and fuel pump. Inside is clean. What would you do that have swapped em or did a R&R? Thanks much. Jim