Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Warranty Question
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
dpotter5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105256
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Metallic SEHatch

FF Reputation: 1 dpotter5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinMichigan View Post
Still curious if anyone has official word on what maintenance practices for oil change interval would void the warranty. The warranty says to follow the schedule in the car manual. I agree the car manual says at a minimum to change the oil every 10K miles or 1 year, but gives some guidance on possibly changing sooner.

Just had my first change at the dealer after 6 months + 2 weeks and 5800 miles. I asked the technician how frequently I should change my oil and he said it wasn't dirty when he changed it and that I could probably go to 7500 or longer (and could check my "change oil" indicator to judge). He volunteered that while I could do this, I may void warranty if I don't change with enough frequency. I asked what the standard of frequency is to avoid voiding the warranty and he said it was measured by what the service shop recommends for my next change (on that little sticker they put in your upper left windshield). The sticker has me due for another change in 4 months or 5K miles.

Does anyone know how the warranty voiding actually works? Independent of whether I SHOULD change my oil more frequently, will I get voided for, say, changing my oil at 4,000 additional miles but a month after the 4 month window they just suggested to me? Did waiting over 6 months and 5,800 miles for my first change put me in any jeopardy?
Looking to see if anyone has actual knowledge beyond just guesses.
Thanks!
You only have to change your oil every 12 months or 10,000 miles to keep your warranty intact.. Keep in mind that Ford recommends motorcraft synthetic blend and every ford dealership is suppose to use it when changing you oil. This is what allows you to go 10,000 miles. If you dont use this oil, your warranty can be voided. You could probably use a different synthetic blend or full synthetic without issue. Changing more frequently will obviously not void your warranty. If you drive your car hard, in extreme heat, or in dusty conditions, you may want to change more often because your oil may break down faster, but this doesn't affect your warranty either way.