Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Those with Magnaflow's Exhaust System (Part #15072)
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #89
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripto View Post
Back to this for a second. From what I hear, the cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system. When you say its integrated into the exhaust manifold, are you saying you can't physically replace it without replacing the manifold? My focus isn't in CA or PZEV so I'm assuming that's my only cat. You'd think you'd get better performance if you swap out that one with a magnaflow one for example, right?
A modern catalyst is no where near as restrictive as they were in the past. I suppose you could theoretically change the exhaust manifold/ header and mount a so called performance catalyst but I'm not sure you would see sufficient gains to justify having spent that much for the header + a separate high flow catalyst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripto View Post
I called up a local shop and wanted to ask about them installing this system if I brought it to them. The guy went into being able to make a custom system. In the end, it looks like 2.5" compression bent stainless steel, no resonator, and either a regular magnaflow 1 in 1 out, or a camaro/firebird magnaflow 1 in 2 out. Said he could do a cut out for the tips in the bumper too. He said it will be a 14 or 18 inch muffler, I forget which he said. All this for $500.

Any comments? I'm wondering how it will be with the resonator, and I'll have to try to look up that camaro muffler.
You really don't want crush bent tubing as it would constrict the diameter too much and hurt the air flow, Mandrel bent tubing is better.

No resonators would also probably get louder than the after market set ups.