raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
A while back there was a thread about the MK3 in snow and some really thought it was terrible, but my experience, until yesterday, was that it wasn't bad at all. Yesterday, however, we had an unexpected dump of about 8 inches of particularly slippery white stuff and I had a huge problem getting it parked at the airport parking lot.

They hadn't cleared the snow and I had to work the shift lever, forward then reverse, repeatedly and after a minute or two I could smell the clutch (DCT). Now I've had mostly manuals before and have in the past had similar issues in snow and had to rock it back-n-forth but never had a clutch smell until now.

So, up until yesterday, with just under 15,000 miles on it, I'd never had a clutch/DCT issue and I hope the minor smell issue doesn't indicate a problem -- I'll know when I get back and can drive it.

I guess the bottom line is that the MK3 FF isn't particularly good, or bad, in the snow but if you have to rock it the DCT doesn't seem well suited to doing that...

Brian
Quoting myself from the OP...

Well I got back home after a 2 week trip to NY and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the clutch from the parking issue -- car shifts smooth with no shudder just as is always has.

I also brought the car into the dealer on Saturday to have the MFT w/NAV update applied and after futzing with the phone pairing all seems to be well there as well. I did have some initial problems with phone pairing or, more accurately, staying paired -- for whatever reason it would pair/connect then disconnect after a few minutes. I did a master reset and that seems to have fixed things.

I've played a bit with the NAV system and although I've only played a bit it does seem better...

Brian