Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Getrag gear oil (hopefully the final thread on it)
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,128, Level 18
Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haste View Post
a quart of ford prescribed full synth here in PA was $18 each. youch!

drained out the gl-5 i had in there...you guys had me worried about it...luckily, it was only in the tranny for a month.

what kind of mileage can i put on this fill? 1 year or every 12k miles seems ridiculous to me...its just a daily driver with some spirited driving here and there.
I'd change it every 75K mi or so. Time interval is not a significant factor unles you're in a flood lol. Honestly it doesn't matter if it's every 3 yrs or 13 yrs. That should get you beyond 300K mi without wearout issues, unless you have some issue with your clutch dragging or shifter linkage malfunction. But what do I know after rebuilding Getrag 6spd manual trannys for BMW for 7 yrs and helping others with rebuilds for Mitsubishi VR4/Dodge Stealth and Toyota Supra. I have also rebuilt Corvette and Ford trannys from ZF, Tremec and Borg Warner.

Amateur racers running track typically change tranny lube about every 12K mi to 36K mi. This just flushes particulate out from abusive shifting. The fluid is easily good for 36K under severe duty. Anything under 50-75k mi is overkill for street unless you're abusive and grinding gears all the time. In that case, fresh fluids won't save it.