Rotation
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109333
What I Drive: 02 Red Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Rotation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Of course, and a stuck thermostat is possible. I thought you said you smelled something, so I assumed that it was coolant. I've not heard coolant described as a dead fish smell, but ok.

A basic test for the water pump is to start the engine and grab the lower radiator hose. You should feel the coolant moving whether the thermostat is open or not. Once the thermostat opens, you'll feel it moving through both hoses, but you can typically feel vibrations from the pump on the lower hose when the engine is cold. You can wait until the thermostat opens. To test the thermostat- probably the easiest way is to use the electronic odometer trick, but that could mean you will overheat again. The safest method is to simply remove the thermostat, and put the housing back together without a thermostat. If the engine doesn't overheat, then you need a new thermostat. You can also check water pump flow more easily. If you can't feel the coolant flowing through the hoses with the thermostat removed- then your pump is bad.

Another way pumps go bad is by leaking through the bearings. You'll find coolant residue on the timing cover and at the center of the water pump pulley from this problem. You might even see coolant at the center of the water pump pulley or just behind that pulley leaking down the timing cover.
I'll be sure to try all of that, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDudley View Post
what he meant by check the oil is to see if there is coolant in your oil...not check the level of your oil that has nothing to do with your coolant leak. If coolant in the oil head gasket probably blew on you.
Got it, thanks.