Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2001 focus zx3 manual trans clunking barely engages
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109390
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZX3 Dark Shadow Gray

FF Reputation: 1 FoMoCus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Finally got both cv axles pulled today. Unfortunately they both look fine. So I got my finger into the differential and spun the ring gear that turns the axle by hand. The drivers side gear kept getting stuck and didn't spin smoothly. The teeth on it looked fine so I think there is a gear somewhere in the diff that chewed itself up.

But now I have a question. The transmission I got from the junkyard is not identical to mine. I didn't notice until I got it home, as I haven't studied mine well enough I guess. The shift linkage connects on the front side of my junkyard trans, and it connects on the rear of my trans. Also there is a cover like a trans pan bolted to the driver side of the differential on my junkyard tranny but mine is one solid piece and has no access panel. I'm trying to look up the part numbers online but I can't figure out what trans I got.

The motor was already pulled from the donor car, which is why I snatched this trans, it took less than 30 minutes to remove. But I'm wondering if the car had a different engine. I'm pretty sure it was a 2001 but may have been a 2000 focus se, and I think the catalyst sticker said it was a 2.0 motor. My car is a 2002 zx3 (I know the post title says 01, as thats what the p.o. told me it was.) I'm wondering if this trans will work if I just use the shift cables from the other car, but I need to find out more about this transmission.

My transmission says XS4R 7F096 and N5LUA on the bellhousing, and the diff had a sticker that said 1S4R 7002 NC.

The donor trans only had a bellhousing sticker which read XS4R 7002 DD and 98WT 7F096-BB