Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Chevy Cruze Diesel on the way....
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #38
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

Points 2,772, Level 32
Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lscman View Post
Time out, please. You have no idea what portion of the picture I'm looking at. You make bold, global statements about the superiority of diesel powerplants that have no merit beyond farm tractors and commercial rigs. Your argument is simply not supported by objective, empirical data (facts). Have you compared the EPA ratings for cruze gas vs diesel? Clearly not. A Chevy Cruze diesel is not a Jeep CRD SUV. The EPA tests are based upon actual control testing instead of generalities, hype, assumptions and guessing. EPA results are the best that consumers have to go by. Again, the Cruze diesel is not an F350 dualie tow vehicle or a commercial truck that sits idling for 12hrs in a truckstop every night. Cruze diesel is not a slam dunk choice from an eco, cost of ownership or overall efficiency standpoint and I assure you sales figures will bear this out.

Audi's recent success with racing diesel powerplants is the outcome of sanctioning body rules that served to aggressively encourage and promote alternative technologies. This is done by tipping scales to favor diesel power. The same rule books clip the wings of Ferrari, Corvette and Porsche to ensure parity. For example to keep things fair, the track-legal competition version of Viper typically produces 150 to 200HP LESS than a dealer showroom car. Race-legal GTS-R is limited to 450 to 500 hp while stock Viper produces 640HP. They are not penalizing Audi diesel race cars in this fashion or they would be too slow for pace car or parade lap duty lol. This is how Audi diesel magically passes a Porsche on a race track. Bizarre race rules allow a NASCAR Taurus (originally a $25K pedestrian sedan) to run quicker lap times on a speedway or road couse than a LeMans prepped Ferrari (originally a $250K sports car). This is why race results serve as useless testimony for the merits of diesel power in an econobox.

You really can't even quantify the benefit of owning a Jeep CRD or how long it takes to pay back because you would need to own a gas version and operate them under the exact same cycle and duty. You don't own a gas version, so your "pays for itself" conclusion is just a guess that does not hold water. I need to see calculations, not just declarations. Since it's a SUV with significant weight and frontal area, I imagine ithe diesel uses less fuel and offers a better torque curve. But hey, let's be honest because true cost of ownership must take into account the option cost. This is why hybrids offering double the city mileage struggle to break even with gas cars over the life of the vehicle. Again, the EPA does this sort of analysis for the consumer. I'll rely upon experts using scientifically-sound methods for objective comparisons, cost of ownership or payback.

To your last point, I'm not interested in hearing how driving your diesel car on cooking oils or off-road fuel (without paying your fair share of road taxes) is cheaper. No kidding, that's nothing more than theft of public services. Other taxpayers (both diesel and gas) who buy fuel at the pump are being forced to cover your share of road construction and repair. I own a gas car, but realize I can save money recycling cooking oil too. Cooking oil has value no matter what car you own. I can heat my house with it without stealing over 50 cents out of a fellow taxpayer's pocket for every gallon burned. I'd never consider a $3800 diesel option and $1000 cooking oil conversion kit for an econobox.
LOL you make me laugh. Who said anything about illigel fuels? Who said anything about stealing? LOL I have 2 security clearances, there is not enough money in the world to make me steal anything and cause me to loose them.

60% of all cars sold in the EU were diesel, they make up a MAJORITY of sales. The EU does not use gasoline/Benzine engines in commercial vehicles. I can out tow a 3.7 gasser anyday and my MPG, City, Highway and Towing, is way better than the 3.7 gasser. I just did a GVW 10280lbs tow from DC to El Paso, 2300 miles and averages 18mpg. You might get 11mpg in the 3.7 IF it could tow that much. When I was in Germany and traveling at autobahn speeds, 100-110mph I averaged 19mpg, no other SUV at the time available in the US, got that kind of MPG. Mind you I was also paying $8-9 a gallon then as well, so yes it saved me money over a gasser. I have driven all kinds of small engine diesels and they amaze me how the MPG/L pkm are so much better than gas engines. They also allow for TOWING at normal to BETTER than the gas versions, to include HYBRIDS. You have to look at the WHOLE picture, not just numbers.

Bio-diesel in MY JEEP actually makes it run better and quieter and causes no damage to the engine, injection system or emmissions.

Diesel, every one in the fleet has been good so far, minus the buses.

E85 in all my work vehicles, sedans-trucks causes detonation issues, poor MPG and emmissions failures.

Hybrids, well they do not make anything for work trucks and the sedans spend more time in the shop than on the road, except for one.

Hydrogen, well it is hit an miss for a around the base vehicle.

Electric, the first fleet ones have showed up after they were all removed due to faults in the charging systems the first week they arrived.

This has been since 2005, in the US and Europe.

Small displacement, forced induction engines are the trend now and will continue until and more solid alternative can be found. But then again, diesel's have been doing this since 1897 thanks to Rudolf Diesel.

Hybrids have been around for more than 100 years, and look how far we have gotten with it.

Hybrid use is like using a garden hose on a house fire, it works but is not getting the job done.

This thread kinda makes my day.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers