Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Shift Tower Roll Pin Question - Please Help
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 AM  
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Here, I made this thread a while back. First make sure you have the right parts before you begin. The bolt you need is a 6mm cap bolt (allen/hex socket), x whatever thread pitch x 30mm long. I detail the length in the thread so read carefully because the bolt I bought was not too long, but bordered on being too long. It could be 5mm shorter. You can also use a standard nut and blue threadlock if you can't get a nylock nut. Those can be hard to find for metric sizes sometimes.

Also keep in mind that 12.9 hardness is harder and better in this location that stainless steel. Stainless steel is harder than 12.9, but will crack and break before 12.9 does in shear locations like this one. 10.9 should be ok as well if that's all you can find. I couldn't find an SAE size that fits as well as the 6mm. 1/4 is slightly too big, but if you can find a #14, that might work. I used an allen socket because those are easier to get tools in tight spaces. As you can see in my thread, I had to use the flat side of a large flathead screwdriver to hold the nut while I screwed it in with the allen socket.

I hope I paid enough attention to all things important in this thread. I hope for you that you have the adjustment tool in your glove compartment. If not, I'm sure it's not expensive, surely not more than $10.

How to Repair a broken shift tower

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.