Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Option Racing exhaust headers
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 04:10 AM   #15
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 14,754, Level 78
Points: 14,754, Level: 78 Points: 14,754, Level: 78 Points: 14,754, Level: 78
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevick View Post
what other header would give a good amount of hp and that i could still have the cat on other then the convertion kit ?
your only options for running a header with a cat are the SVT conversion, ramhorn header, and running a universal cat in or after the flex pipe.

the last option will probably do nothing at all to help pass inspection. it likely wont pass a sniffer test because the cat has to get up to a certain temperature before it works efficiently enough to do its job. this is why it is located so close to the engine in stock configuration. placing it in or after the flex pipe probably wont get it hot enough to work good. then on top of that you will have to have an o2 bung welded in after the cat and will have to make an o2 extension harness to run the down stream o2 sensor to the exhaust after the cat. and then you will probably still get a check engine light because the cat isnt working well enough because it isnt hot enough. which means you will probably end up running an o2 cheater in which case you may as well not have a cat at all anyway. and by the time you get through all of this you will have spent as much money as you would have to just bolt on the SVT conversion and be done and that would still only be good for perhaps half the power gained from a SVT conversion.

the ramhorn option is viable if you care more about just changing things for the sake of changing things than you car about modding for the sake of power. the ram horn is a bolt in job that will keep the stock cat and flex pipe. it really does look cool i think but it might be good for 2whp if even that much. they dont do anything at all.

so your only real option for a header that will actually gain power and will allow you to keep the cat is the SVT header conversion. if you find or figure out another cheaper option that makes as much power as the SVT conversion for as much or less please feel free to share. ive been at this for years and there has only been 1 header design to EVER outperform the SVT header that was going to be priced to compete with it. unfortunately that was a prototype ONLY and will unfortunately never be for sale...

sorry i know that isnt what you wanted to hear but those are your options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!