Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - How much do you spend?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Dave@TLC
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109483
What I Drive: TLC Mobile

FF Reputation: 1 Dave@TLC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In your kit you should get:
2 5 gallon buckets
2 Grit Guard Inserts
Quality Soap (Meguiars Gold Class is great)
Quality Wash sponge or mitt
Quality Waffle Weave Drying towel
Glass Cleaner (there are a lot of good ones, just make sure to get one without ammonia in it)
Tire Shine (I would go with something water based, using something like Armor All could lead to your tires turning brown)
Interior Protectant (again thee are many, but stay away from anything silicone based)
Leather Dressing (Leather Masters makes a great kit to care for leather if you have it)
Quality wax or sealant for paint and wheels (Meguairs Ultimate wax is easy to use and available local, we use 4 Star Sealant in the shop and it looks great and lasts for 6 months+)

With that list, depending on the products you choose, you're looking at $75-$150 for everything. A small price to pay to keep your car looking great and preventing it from getting swirled up in the process!

Eventually you can get a clay bar and buffing compounds, but for a new car you shouldn't need them at all. The most important part is to use good techniques and common sense so you don't end up putting more swirls into your paint. For example, you wouldn't want to wash the bottom of your car where all the dirt is built up before you wash the roof.

Hope that helps, and if you would like any specific product recommendations please let me know!