Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Unable to get a price from dealers for 2012 or 2013 Focus?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesiel678 View Post
I used to work as a car sales person for 8 years. This was one of the many frustrating questions a customer would ask. "What's the price???" or "Give me your best price." On a new car, it's clearly marked... it's called MSRP. Oh, you want better/lower than MSRP?? That's fine. Commit to buying the car and we will gladly negotiate with you. Oh, you want us to negotiate without a commitment from you? What, you think we like to negotiate for fun? No thanks. When you are ready to buy we will make you a deal. Until then, the price is the one listed on the sticker. Good day sir.

Check Edmunds.com for invoice pricing and True Market Value. Look at Cars.com to see what prices / deals are being advertised. Find the car you want, research it, determine what you are willing to pay (be reasonable), then go to the dealer ready to buy. If your offer is reasonable, they will take it. They may try to play hardball (to hold some profit), but if you are willing to walk, they will fold.
I agree with most of this. Do your research and you will know what the best price is, do not ask the dealer. When you tell the dealer you will give them X amount for said car, you have committed to buy the car. Don't mess around with this, you will just look stupid when they accept your offer and you don't take it. When they play hardball and most will, stick to your reasonable offer. Make only a few attempts to move past this point. If unable, then walk, because it will be you who folded and walked away not the dealer. And when the sales manager ask the salesman what happened to that potential sale it will be them getting their a55 chewed not you. And when you show up again if you so decide, the will generally be a bit more accommodating.