View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Absolutely don't mention you're doing the work. And casually ask if the ins.co. will be checking out the quality themselves. They may want verification a shop did the work, depending on what you still owe on car. Some will not cut a check except in a body shop's name unless you own car clear and free of banker. Some are very antsy about owner doing repairs if they think you could let car later be repoed and they then suffer a loss later because car didn't sell as high as they thought it should. Get several estimates and toss the lower ones. Ask who they cut the check to.

Lots of time what's under cover is a styrofoam form insert and simple metal or plastic bumper that insert fits in, The styrofoam is way overpriced but if dent is simple then sometimes no need to even touch it, the cover covers any slighter damage. I've glued back together styrofoam cleanly broken in half to continue using it. As long as not crushed greatly. The bumper itself if metal sometimes easily pulled back into good enough shape that you can't tell at all once cover installed. Depending on forces involved and directions, the snap fasteners can shear or enlarge holes to not work again, I've drilled new holes to use hardware that positively screws down part solid to bypass buying a two or three hundred dollar part, who cares what holds part on if you can't see the backside, even use rivets, whatever needed. All that matters is does car look good once back together..............

I have an '00 that I stupidly ran into someone else with, $5K estimates in damage to front, I had just dropped insurance because car older. I fixed it for $600 (didn't fix airbags, not needed here in Texas for inspect), that was 2008, car still runs and drives perfectly now. I almost junked it, but once I realized the main box frame in front was still dead square then it became a challenge to see if I could recover the car. So, you could easily make that $1K back...............