Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - headlight suggestions? what do you guys have
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 10 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblockfever View Post
That's exactly what i needed actually! I have the exact car!

I'd like to get a euro grill like that and clear marker lights, but that's next :P

I'm kind of daunted by tearing apart the lights and painting them. I just tried that with the stock ones to reseal and clean the lenses and i'm not totally confident in my work on the lenses. And what about those blue rings on the projector? that is awesome looking, how does one make such a thing exist?
Paint, painter's tape, X-acto knife, steady hands, and patience. Lots and lots of patience lol. I can go into more detail about how I did it if needed, but basically I masked off the bits I wanted to leave chrome, painted blue, waited for that to dry, masked off the parts to stay blue, and painted black. The tough part is getting a clean mask over the curved areas of the lights. It's much easier to paint the whole things black, but having the chrome rings sets it apart IMO. Oh and I used primer before everything else, and a few coats of clear afterwards.

As far as opening and sealing the lights, its not too bad. Again takes patience to not try to just force the lenses off. I should have used more RTV to seal them as I have a bit of condensation when it rains hard or I wash it.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 73k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune