Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Outside Temperature Incorrect - 2012 Focus
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #30
kemoe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109270
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 kemoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_2000_se View Post
Does the manual say anything about what the accuracy is?

I was curious where the sensor was mounted. If the inside of your car can climb to over 100 degrees F on a winter day in the sun, think what the temperature might do inside your mirror. Same with the source of your reference temps. And then with a moving car vs. stationary temp sources - it may take awhile for ambient air to permeate the mirror assembly.

If you are looking for a meaningful comparison - you'll need a stable and controlled environment and a calibrated reference source. Depending on accuracy, traceable to NIST. How well insulated is your garage?

Comparing it to anything else may be part of the problem - especially if the sun is involved and/or the temperature changes quickly over a short period of time.

How important it is to you and to what expense you want to go to to find the answer is up to you. .... Remove the mirror (keep it electrically connected) and put it in an "Ice Bath" (bag of water and lots of ice). See what it reads after soaking for say 30-60 minutes. You know ice is frozen at 32 degrees F. - That becomes 'one' point for your graph/experiment.

Do this when the ambient temp is above freezing so you don't end up with a "Popsicled Mirror" (the other point on your graph deals with another known scientific point - "boiling water", 212 degrees F. But I don't recommend this or absolute zero either).

According to Ford, the temp sensor is OK at + or - 3 Degrees F. When checked inside the dealership it is + 2 over. Since it is within specs while sitting in the dealership, there isn't much else to do.

The strange part about this sensor is that it has wild swings of 2 to 8 degrees over. The longer the car has been on, the higher the variation.

The sensor is in the passenger side mirror. The variations are seen during the day or after sunset so the sun does not seem to have much of an impact on the inaccuracy.

Thanks for the reply.