Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Will not start
Thread: Will not start
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by custer3_5 View Post
That's what mine did last year. I dropped a valve and screwed up the whole motor. Now I'm going to attempt an engine swap, from a sohc to a dohc zetec
This sort of thing only happens to the SPI engine.

To the OP, please identify your engine for us. Go look under the hood, Ford used 2 different 2.0 engines in that YM vehicle. One will have spark plugs that go into the top of the valve cover, and Zetec on the valve cover. The other will have spark plugs that go into the side of the cylinder head, and "Split Port Injection" on the valve cover.

Dropping a valve creates a lack of compression, as does a timing belt, so if your engine is turning over faster than it used to- that is a sign of something other than a fuel pump. You should be able to hear the fuel pump buzz for approximately 3 secs after turning the key from off to on. You can hear this in any car, so go listen in a running car so you know what to listen for. If you don't hear the fuel pump buzz, that is one sign of a bad fuel pump.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.