Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Strange Bumping Issue
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95135
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

Points 3,034, Level 33
Points: 3,034, Level: 33 Points: 3,034, Level: 33 Points: 3,034, Level: 33
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Bliky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendarus View Post
Soft compound tires, and cold weather? Might be flat spotting from sitting. Goes away once the tires are warm?
I'm like 90% sure it goes away after the tires are warm, assuming it's the tires. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell on almost all Jersey roads since they are bumpy to begin with -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
It is the tires. From sitting they get a 'flat spot' which in cold weather takes awhile to go away.
I suggest adding a few extra pounds of air in each tire in cold weather to reduce the problem.
Also, some tires are much worse with this issue than others...
In cold weather nearly all tires have this to at least a minor degree.
Your new shocks may be making it way more noticable.. being a little stiffer too.

One minor way to lessen it is to drive in a tight circle a few times. The flat spots then stop being in the same place as the tires move a different distance in the circles. So the bumps are 'spread out' instead of all four at once.
Would the fact that the car mostly sits on an incline in my driveway? Nothing too steep but it's a bit of an incline make it worse? Also, the fact that it got worse when I installed the shocks make sense.

When I checked the pressure the other day they were all between 32 and 35 PSI. I'll make sure tomorrow they're all at 37.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
i agree.. tires... i often leave my cars parked in the garage for weeks at a time w/o using them (heated garage) and when i do use the car it takes several miles to get the 'bump' out
happens w/ the oem contis and now w/ dws contis as well as the good years on another car.
Yeah, I forgot to say - I have Bridgestone Potenzas (RE970 AS Pole Positions) which are basically the same thing as the Conti DWS. I read that because they are performance tires and have more nylon in them that the Potenzas tend to flat spot more but I don't know if this is true.

Like i said, this only became noticeable recently when it started to get really cold. It could have been happening before but at a very mild level and I just thought it was the crappy Jersey roads lol