Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - How-To flush ATX fluid and change filter
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #74
200two-zx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108491
What I Drive: 2002 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 2 200two-zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
'just changing the fluid will possibly remove the only reason it may still be working'

Explain how that is even possible so that a logically thinking man can say OK, I understand that.

And yes, I could most likely do that machine work myself, having done quite a bit of it. I certainly can inspect it for quality having done that too.
Well most of us will trust a professional machine shop to resurface a head instead of dropping 20grand on a machine to do it our self so with your comment in mind "And yes, I could most likely do that machine work myself, having done quite a bit of it. I certainly can inspect it for quality having done that too" , who's the lodgical thinking man I'm explaining this to its not lodgical to pay 20grand vs 40 dollars to resurface a head for example.

As I've explained before and I'm saying this for transmissions with no upkeep for very extended periods of time that the old oil will contain small fragments of friction material in it and thus causing the larger gaps "caused from lack of upkeep" to be a little bit of a tighter tolerance as well as creating more friction on the friction plates thus cauing the old worn trans to still work in a somewhat normal manner. I'm not saying this is good but ur trying to tell so~and~so that if he or she has 170k on a trans that on Sunday night they shouldjust change there fluid and Monday morning they will be able to drive to work with out issue, what I'm telling or rather trying to warn people of is if you have a lot of miles on a worn underkept trans they should have a pro overhaul or atleast inspect I before just trying to change fluid, because just changing the fluid on a old underkept trans may stop its function all together. I learned this the hard way with a old truck I purchase of a guy whom never maintained the trans he had the idea if it ain't broke don't fix er, I changed the fluid after drivin it for a few mths and the next day it stoped shifting.

I'm just making sure people know what there getting into that's all...

Last edited by 200two-zx3; 02-05-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: .