Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2001 focus zx3 manual trans clunking barely engages
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #22
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

Points 233, Level 4
Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 tmittelstaedt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
luck FoMoCus - don't buy any parts until you get it all apart - and also here is a trick not in the manual. Before you start, remove the bolt from the passenger mount bracket that is furthest from the engine, and back the other 2 bolts on the passenger mount bracket out probably a good 4 turns - this allows the passenger mount bracket to pivot when your lowering the transmission side of the engine - instead of the pivoting being on the mount itself - whatever you do, make sure the engine is supported at all times and don't ever let it hang from the passenger mount no matter what you read. Unlike the transmission mount and the rear dogbone mount the passenger mount is fragile - it can stand compression great but not flexing.

Get the trans low and like I said in the walkthrough drop the subframe to do it - trust me it only adds a little extra steps to the procedure but it is so much easier to get the trans off and on with the added clearance. Also, go though the kickpanel in the drivers footwell to disconnect the trans cables, don't try it from where the service manual says to do it.