Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - new spark plugs.
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,183, Level 34
Points: 3,183, Level: 34 Points: 3,183, Level: 34 Points: 3,183, Level: 34
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 50%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I agree, E3 plugs suck. They last because they have multiple firing surfaces, good thing too because they don't even use a precious metal tip like platinum or iridium. In other words, you paid for that awesome marketing program (dig that fancy airbrush work of plug impossibly firing off like a nuclear weapon!!) rather than for better product. An oldschool '50s and '60s plug with a fancy looking electrode, great job there, plug worth maybe $2. They can't be re-gapped later either if you want. At least you could on Splitfires, another gimmick plug using same worn out idea. E3s actually shield the flame from spreading as fast, you either get that or you don't. Add to that the very limited applications with no real heat range choices and you got a garbage gimmick plug. I took back plenty of them while working at the store, on some applications they wouldn't even run correctly to make for misfire issues in engines that proceeded to run perfect again when old plugs put back in.

Pretty funny that someone thinks the engine is smart enough to know whether it has a import or domestic plug in it. If you have proper physical application, tip configuration, and heat range you are pretty much there regardless of what you use, better to use precious metal plugs. I see no problems with the Motorcraft plug mentioned (and Tom would certainly know his stuff!), always best to run same brand plug as the motor as the heat range will be more accurate that way. When you pick another brand plug they often sub a plug that may be in between heat ranges you need and that's not the best part there..............

Also, anyone changing iridium plugs at 10K ain't got his head screwed on right, the plugs are 100,000 mile plugs. Platinum are 50,000, why would you be willing to change them every 10,000 miles? Those days are gone bucko, you're burning money.