Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Super Bowl XLVII Car Commercials: Which one did you like best?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #21
Budderybunz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107821
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 Budderybunz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
There is a big difference between corporate farms and privately owned farms. Your description is very accurate for the for former, definitely not the latter.

I have family in Kansas who are farmers, own their own land, and work their butts off, and they definitely don't fit your description. maybe farming in ND is different... I don't know, but the ad's description of farmers is much more accurate than yours for the farmers I know.

That is why I liked the ad. It praised a portion of our society that rarely every gets praise. Would I love to see a similar ad about the military? As a veteran, of course I would. But the military is not the only group of people in this country who do not get nearly enough credit for what they sacrifice for the rest of us.
Even the "small" farms in ND make a very respectable living. I see farming just like every other job... you are providing a good in exchange for payment, why is farming different and deserving of special recognition? Because the job is hard? There are millions of harder jobs that get paid less. No one is forced in to farming, there is no special sacrifice involved. Positions in the military, police force, or fire rescue are a few examples of jobs that actually deserve recognition because they make real sacrifices and put their lives on the line to provide a good for society.

In terms of your family I say "Right on!" when it comes to working your butts off to make a living.

Just to put into perspective where I'm coming from.
My friends family owns a pretty average farm here in ND. They run it 4 months out of the year, make over 300k a year in profit, and their machines are run by GPS so my buddy literally sits in the plow watching netflix while this thing plows the whole field.

Thank you for your service.