So, after two weeks, I have my own sit-rep to submit.
Bottom line: it's going back.
This whole experience has gone basically exactly as I expected it would only the stereo never actually functioned completely.
Two weekends ago my brother and his wife were in town to celebrate my birthday. As part of the weekends festivities we had planned to install the stereo. We removed the MFT system fairly painlessly (with the exception of a few tough molex connectors).
We first ran in to issues with the aftermarket wiring harness(es) not matching the factory harness(es). To some extent I was expecting this; it's clear when you have the MFT unit next to the aftermarket stereo that a lot of computer is being taken out, not a whole is being put back in. I expected some of the factory connectors to no longer be functional with the more basic aftermarket stereo.
I did not expect whole giant connectors (that plugged into the screen for the MFT) to have absolutely no mate in the aftermarket harness whatsoever.
The aftermarket wiring harness exists in two discreet looms. I was not expecting to have to wire bits of these looms together. Nor was I aware that this connection would have to be made as there is no mention in the 'manual' of this.
We pulled the stereo out, put the MFT back in and I initiated a return with the seller. I was immediately contacted by the seller inquiring as to the reason for the return. I explained the lack of compatability with the SEL focus and the seller proceeded to attempt to provide wiring diagrams and installation instructions. Unfortunately the instructions were in Chinese and they depicted pretty clearly a base model stereo being replaced.
After twenty-some odd emails I agreed to check the unit again with a revised wiring diagram. I went out yesterday and pulled the MFT back out and installed the new stereo per the revised wiring diagram.
It powered on! My first thought was that it looked pretty good. Nothing fancy, simple front end GUI, media player, phone, radio and navigation. It seemed to be running a new(er) copy of iGo Primo navigation software. I was actually getting excited.
Not for long; no sound. There are two pairs of male RCA audio cables coming out of the two connectors that interface with the factory stereo. These RCA cables are, per the seller, supposed to be connected to some of the 6 female RCA audio inputs/outputs for the new stereo.
No combination of plugging these in as either inputs or outputs from the new stereo would produce any sound from the factory speakers.
I'm giving up on this earlier than I might have at one time. I no longer have the time to troubleshoot and work the bugs out of what is supposed to be a 'finished' product.
Meh...at least it only took a minimal amount of arguing to get the seller to authorize a return.