Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Dealer put in wrong coolant (Gold instead of Orange) -- a problem?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by empowah View Post
Hi there,

A few days ago, I noticed my coolant was below the "minimum" line, about a centimeter below. Today, I stopped by the dealer to have it topped off. The service advisor poured in some coolant slightly past the "minimum" line, and when he had finished, I noticed it was Ford Motorcraft Gold coolant.

I looked at my owners manual, and checked the coolant reservoir label, and it says that my 2012 Focus uses Motorcraft Orange coolant, and that these two fluids shouldn't be mixed.

Is this a problem? Does it need to be drained now, or is the small amount of Gold coolant that the dealer put in acceptable? It's really irritating how a simple trip to the dealer can end up being a potential headache.
This doesn't surprise me.

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Ch...-Coolants.aspx

(referring to Motorcraft® Gold Antifreeze):

Do not mix different colors or types of coolant in your vehicle. Make sure the correct coolant is used. Mixing of engine coolants may harm your engine’s cooling system. The use of an improper coolant may harm engine and cooling system components and may void the warranty

Do not use this product in systems originally equipped with the orange-colored Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant

My suggestion is to have the dealer flush the cooling system and refill with the correct coolant. If they are uncooperative, contact Ford directly and escalate your issue with them.