Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #226
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97166
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamDFL View Post
Was the point of your post to be pedantic? The molecular change that the basestock undergoes in the GTL process to make Group III constitutes a synthetic end product in the eyes of most people. It is a completely man made process not found in nature with a end product that cannot be duplicated by natural means. More importantly, a Grp III performs as well as Grp IV or Grp V based oils in every meaningful way.
From reading on synthetic oils it is my understanding that true synthetic oils in the Group IV and Group V category have a turbulent flow pattern, (which aids in the transfer of heat, resulting in lower engine operating temperatures), whereas the cheaper Group III, "synthetic oils", refined from petroleum crude oil have a laminar flow pattern, which is comparatively inferior to a turbulent flow pattern in heat transfer characteristics. I've also read that real Group IV and Group V synthetic oils have vastly greater film strength than the cheaper Group III, "synthetic oils", refined from petroleum crude oil. I've also read that in Europe, by law, these Group III, "synthetic oils", can't be legally referred to as synthetic oils.

Group II oils also can't be duplicated in nature, but that doesn't mean they are a synthetic oil either.

Synthetic Oil: Rx For Long Engine Life -

http://getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/syntheticoil/