Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Autocross Tires for 2013
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #63
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 35,900, Level 100
Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
So, we had our Regional 2 autoX here in Houston, TX (will upload photos when I am done loading them)

And a few of the guys here already received their Direzza ZIIs.

So, I lucked out on what heat they are running and got a chance to catch a ride with all of them.

Each one different.
- a VW Rabbit, from her last set of Z1s, her car felt stiffer in the corners. Had great traction turning in through transitions, but didn't hold grip through the slalom very well.
The VW Rabbit was on 16x7s 215 ZIIs and Bilstein Coilovers. STF class.
- a Mazda 2, from his set of Hankook RS3s, he also felt the car was stiffer in the corners. But weirdly could turn real well into the corner but not grip on a transition. Felt great through slaloms. Had traction issues going around a bend, but held up on his car once he found it. Car is more Rally setup, so in 4x4 mode. Minimal suspension work, but stiff sway bars. STF Class.
- MazdaSpeed Miata, his car felt way different from the other 2 front wheel drive cars. For this car, it felt great. They took 2 runs to get hot and sticky for him. And it was squirly, more than his last set of RE-11s when they are cold. Which is funny, because he was the one that told me that the RE-11s like the cold weather traction better than the extreme heat ... o well. Anyways, he ended up lowering the PSI all around and was able to shave another 1.5 seconds off his fastest time. Grip was great through most of our course today for him.
Stock suspension 17x8/225. STO Class

So, far, they all have said they need a run or 2 to get some heat going in them to get some traction. Walls are stiff, but they are new ... so I will check back after a couple of events. And once you dial in the right PSI and contact to the pavement through your suspension (if adjustable) they move.

After riding with them, I am on edge about buying them ... am now thinking about waiting for the RE-11s new replacement and reviews.

Ray
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.