Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Getrag gear oil (hopefully the final thread on it)
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97166
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
AliasJerk;3987908]

So HERE is our answer, 75w-90. Looks like Amsoil was right all along as far as specification goes, so lets kick the confusion to the curb on this one, any 75w-90 MTL can be used in the Getrag mtx-285 on a factory application. Mystery Solved. (puts on flameproof vest)
AMSOIL doesn't recommend Severe Gear 75W-90 for this transmission. In fact AMSOIL clearly states they don't manufacture a fluid for this transmission -

2010 FORD FOCUS 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code [N]
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Manual Transmission,MTX75 (5-SPD)......SLF [2]
All TEMPS......
No AMSOIL Product Recommendation

[2] Manual transmission fluid formulated to meet
spec. WSD-M2C200-C.

Quote:
That all being said *phew* I went with Redline MTL 75w90, and my SVTF shifts like a brand new car, night and day difference going from Syncromax.
The Redline application guide doesn't recommend their 75W-90 for this transmission either. They have a reason for that. There is far more to a gear lube than just it's viscosity. A 75W-90 GL-5 gear lube has chemical properties in it that are not compatible with transmissions requiring a 75W-90 GL-4 gear lube. Using a GL-5 gear lube in a transmission calling for GL-4 can destroy the transmission rather quickly.

Why use the incorrect lube in a transmission worth thousands of dollars?

Why not just use the correct lube and be done with it?

Transmissions cost way too much to replace playing games with the correct lube for them.