oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
It is supposed to be, you can read this reply from Customer Service - it is the 3rd post down.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4395563

I just checked the ESP website http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...ESPWizardStep1 ( 3 months later) and it is still not listed in the description of what the plan covers.
It may be in the service plan document provided when you actually buy one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The long answer is maybe. The FCS reps on here claim it is, but I'm not sure if they are only referring to the internals like the gears and shafts as those are always covered, or if it also extends to the clutch which is an external transmission part, but is analagous to a torque converter which is covered, vs the manual transmission clutch disk, in terms of the driver not being able to directly actuate it and cause excess wear.

Technically it is a wear component like a manual clutch disk, as it is essentially a pair of friction disks with pressure plates between them, etc... However the driver cannot manually slip the clutch excessively, so if the programming is causing harm to it (if and only if) that would be the only way it could be damaged ahead of time.

A well shifted manual shouldn't need a clutch in 100-125k either though.
I purchased the 5yr/75k mile PremiumCare ESP when I bought the car so it's nice to know that the most worrisome part is covered beyond the factory warranty.

The car is coming up on 15k miles and it hasn't had major problems yet. Just the occasional DCT lag when I want it to go. The service department at Landmark Ford has been exceptional at taking care of the minor issues.