NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97233
What I Drive: 2012 Race red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 11 NickCornell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
When you remove the airbox lid, you lose the negative pressure in the ducting that leads to the radiator support opening. This will cause your intake to be consuming mainly underhood air. Even with a fabricated shield to emulate the big-name companies, you will still acquire a certain amount of heat-soak.

That being said, I don't think that it is overly detrimental. There will be a bit of cool air forced through the ducting due to the pressure difference of the front of the radiator support and the intake box along with some cooler air that enters around the headlight. I inspected the sealing of the Typhoon when it was on my car for testing and found that there was actually a large amount of area for underhood air to bypass the shield. Just looking at pictures of the Steeda intake I would have to assume the same applies to it as well.

All of that being said, my best recommendation is always to experiment. What works for me and my commute does not necessarily apply to anyone elses. I wanted my power to be lower in the rpm range. This allows me better response and fuel mileage. If I drove in a more 'spirited' manner and was willing to spend more money, I would be sporting a name-brand intake...

I have been toying with the idea of wrapping some of the tract though...
Where exactly does the air "come from" with aftermarket intakes such as the steeda? I miss the simplicity of my 13 inch air cleaner sitting atop my TB with an open cowl on my Dakota haha. I was never thinking about vacuums and whatnot. The whole "technology" car thing is a bit new to me, but I'm doing my best to research and learn, primarily from the seemingly infinite knowledge that I receive from FF. anyway, back to my actual question, how does the steeda work?

Sent while Slideways