Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released.
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #281
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

Points 2,610, Level 31
Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I'm glad that worked out for you VOLDAR.

It's amazing how much different (quieter) the sound is when the MAF housing is properly suspended from the heat shield. I didn't mention this benefit when I originally did the mods, but the benefit is real. Just that little bit of contact that the housing has with the shield it has out of the box makes a world of difference.

It is a shame that K&N has done nothing to fix that issue, or at least they haven't contacted me about any design changes.

The difference in sound at a given throttle position seems directly related to engine load. If you load it up at 2K - 3K rpm, it will "moan" a bit, especially when loaded with A/C on. Give it a while and your driving habits will change slightly, and you'll be able to avoid the moan. If you're anything like me, you'll become really attached to the "wail" from 3.5K RPM to redline @ WOT!
I still have not done this mod. I would like the noise level to be a bit quieter, so I guess when spring rolls around that'll be the first thing done.

Like you said, it really is a shame K&N hasn't done anything. I'm disappointed, and while I still love the intake, it would have been nice to see a little motivation on their part to make the product "perfect."
HN #167