Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #1865
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBMK3 View Post
Just clicked over 500 mi. in my new '13, cautiously watching for any signs of DCT trouble. A bit of shudder during the first few days of ownership, but that has mostly ceased. Unfortunately, what's developed now is that after a good bit of time in stop & go city traffic (say 1/2 hour or so), there's a soft grinding noise during low-gear shifts. No sign of it otherwise. Disconcerting. *Really* hoping this clears up over time/miles.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306863

That will help allay fears.

I bought mine 11 months ago. After a couple months, mine developed 'the noise' and it only happens after the car's been warmed up and running a while. It infrequently shuddered when accelerating from a stop as well. 12B37 was applied in May and since then shuddering has been a non-issue since then as well (it used to shudder in first gear, going from stop to acceleration).

I also learn to drive it with more gusto - not flooring it, but adding more oomph - I try to get to 3000~3500RPM between shifts but will also let it shift at 2000 or 2500, depending on traffic. But, slow or fast, it's the smoothest transmission shifting I've ever felt from a car.

The transmission between gears has always been smooth, even if "the noise" is present between 1/2, 2/3, and maybe 3/4 if I'm really trying to hear things.

As long as it doesn't seize up, halt, break, jump out of the car to bludgeon me with its gear, or drip oil for me to slip and break my neck on, it's all fine. Manual transmissions are said to make noises during shifting as well. The DCT is an amalgamation of 2 manuals lumped together and ran by computer...

Most people who've had actual problems have had transmissions replaced or repaired as needed.

I honestly wouldn't worry, even if you feel any trepidation. I still do at times, but the DCT is a fairly new technology and other brands have not dissimilar issues.

I would worry if you feel shuddering or other problems, especially after gear 2 is reached... TooTall's response makes sense, but problems that happen to some don't happen to all, and just because one person has problems doesn't mean others will... and, even better, just because others don't have problems doesn't mean others won't have problems.