Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Chevy Cruze Diesel on the way....
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevastator View Post
Chrysler just unveiled the 2014 cherokee with the 3.0 ecodiesel motor from Europe, so there has to be some demand for it haha

But yeah, I would buy a diesel focus... just sayin..
The euro-sourced Jeep turbo Diesel powerplants were released a number of years ago. They already invested in this losing proposition, so it's hardly an unveiling. Demand for Jeep products is poor, some dismal models sell under 20K units per year. The product line is redundant between Dodge and Jeep SUV's, so quality for both suffers. The Chrysler push for diesels in USA began in the Daimler-Benz era. These motors are similar to those you find in commercial trucks. From an off-roading and towing standpoint they make good sense. European & Asian buyers who accept Fiat product may eventually embrace them. However diesel sales here by Jeep are very poor because customers don't want them. Overall quality is poor at Chrysler and they have not proven to be an industry leader. The european owner pushes diesels for our market without understanding the customer. Their formula is bad and it should not be copied by Ford. Chrysler remains in last place in many respects. Wealthy professionals in the USA with fat wallets will continue to buy a BMW X or Mercedes diesel SUV, not a Jeep.

Diesels are better suited for trucks and off-road vehicles. Electric and hybrid is better suited for econoboxes. However there will always be some product overlap.

Ford and GM need to be very careful they don't offer too many product variants because it cuts overall profit margin. It makes things more difficult for the dealership tech's and assembly lines who are on the hook to maintain customer satisfaction. GM bankrupted themselves producing too many different lower production products. As variations in design increase, quality and reliability decreases because resources get spread too thin. The variations in the Focus/C-Max fleet is already very broad and quality is dropping. They need to learn from their past mistakes by focusing precious resources on fewer designs with fewer bugs. The asians mfrs taught USA that QUALITY is what sells cars, not a mind-boggling list of powerplants and tranny combos. Market leaders Prius and Civic do not come with a diesel in the USA. They should be Ford's econobox competition targets. The civic diesel sold in europe costs over $30K. I'd rather plug my commuter car into the wall and get an effective 100MPG from a cost per mile standpoint. Diesel fuel cost is rising quicker than gasoline.