Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Alternator - to buy from Ford or Advance Auto?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,192, Level 18
Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
^^ visual inspection can easily let you Google the markings and then you can pull up the data sheets. You can also usually tell right off the bat if they are using "name" brand silicon manufactures.
My point was you can't do a random sampling of alternators for various models of cars then conclude that Ford Parts rebuilt alternators are better or worse than aftermarket. In most cases, the rectifier and regulation assembly is buried inside the aluminum case and hidden from view. You would need to compare a particular aftermarket reman alternator for a particular application to the original and to the Ford parts reman unit. I am willing to bet that Ford Parts is selling an alternator unit that is rebuilt by an aftermarket outfit, not by Ford OE manufacturing. Furthermore, the OE alternators are not so impressive from a lifecycle perspective. I've had similar luck with aftermarket rebuilds.