Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Crank pulley on to far??
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
rachel4291
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108796
What I Drive: 2003 silver se

FF Reputation: 1 rachel4291 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Crank pulley on to far??

If you would like anymore background on this problem I have another thread "knocking noise after timing belt". So I damaged the original crank pulley by not properly torquing after replacing a timing belt. I torqued the replacement (dorman brand) to 95 ft lbs. after about 50 miles knocking noise started to come back. Found a slight wobble in pulley again removed for closer inspection and found crank was flush with pulley. I machined a washer to fit inside the pulley and clear the crank torqued it down and went to start car. Starter engaged with a clunk, twice. Put a breaker bar on pulley and couldn't turn engine over by hand, took out bolt and found crank almost flush with the new washer (washer is .140 thick) So what had happened was the pulley had pulled down tight against the engine keeping it from turning. So my question is how is the crank out this far??? Did I loose a spacer when I did the timing belt? I had a response to my previous thread saying the crank pulley contacts the the timing belt sprocket with nothing in between is this correct? Has anyone else had problems with a dorman pulley? I had a friend who had heard of other engines dropping a thrust washer inside the engine allowing the crank to walk, is this what I am experiencing? I am confused, to say the least! I am tempted to cut a keyway into my washer and put it behind the pulley but don't feel it's the correct repair. Any help is greatly appreciated to say the least. Thanks in advance.