Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - One Year Later - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #31
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
It's the truth.

My average on the Focus for the first 6-7 months before they applied the transmission TSB was around 31.5MPG driving very conservatively. Driving the same way in my 2005 Cobalt (stick, bought in college) I averaged 32.5MPG. After the TSB? I averaged 27.5MPG driving the *exact* same way, over the exact same routes. My commute didn't change, neither did my social life. It's been pretty much the same since I bought the car (we have other cars used for other purposes).

Traded in the car and got a 2013 Accord Sport 6MT. I drive with ECON mode off at all times and, driving on the same routes, I average 30MPG. It's a bigger car with a bigger engine...and it gets better gas mileage.

The best part? While I used to drive the Focus like a granny I drive this thing like I normally drive...a bit heavier on the accel than I should. Even with that note, I still get 2-3MPG better. It's ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh, and it's not *just* electric steering that is the problem. My Accord Sport has all-electric steering and it has no troubles at all. It drives exactly how I'd expect it to.

The problem is that Ford now went the cheap route in their product. Kia and Hyundai do it in almost all of their cars (which is how they make a great profit selling cars for 1/3 less than the competition), and now Ford has followed suite. Ford used a *ton* of cheap parts in the new Focus, and it shows.
It may be the truth for you, Some Guy and others, but not for all. Not for me. My mileage is higher than I ever expected. Never dreamed I'd average 34 mpg on a 22 mile suburban commute with a stoplight roughly every mile and stretches of bumper to bumper now and then.

And it didn't change after I got 12B37. If anything it's been trending slightly higher since then. So the TSB is not the problem per se.

I am sorry you had such a bad experience with Ford. It does sound like your car had a mechanical problem resulting in the low mpg's. And maybe Some Guy's does too. But not all.

And same for the electric steering. Mine's been fine, no problems. So it's not Ford's electric steering per se. If there was an inherent flaw the majority of professional reviews wouldn't have called the Focus's steering best in class (or at least a close second's to the Mazda3). Some like Some Guy's clearly have problems that need to be fixed. But not all. Who's to say some Accords, even yours, won't develop steering issues?