Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - poor running conditions
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
katchoo22
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96637
What I Drive: 2002 Black Ford Focus ZTS Zetec-E

FF Reputation: 1 katchoo22 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm having trouble locating my video camera - doh! I'll try to get pics up of the bolt and pulley and video clips of the idle issue this afternoon. In the meantime, I'm ordering the motor mounts, all three just to be safe. I tested my alternator out last night in the dark w/the lights on. I turned loads on and off, etc., and there is nothing wrong with my alternator per se. I double checked positive battery cable. It had some corrosion underneath where I couldn't see it. I cleaned both post and tightened both cables snug and there's no change. So I'm convinced it's not the battery or alternator at this point. Still stumped, welcome any thoughts, guesses, whatever you can fling my way.

Still struggling with the same problems, but they seem to be getting worse. I noticed today that the idle goes bad when I depress the brake pedal and returns to a more normal sound when I release the brake pedal, so I read through some threads on the brake booster vacuum hose. I'm going to check that now, then replace the passenger motor mount and take it from there. I really suck at electronic gadgets (cameras, phones, etc..) so I'm still struggling with photos and video. but since i'm going to be moving the coolant reservoir, I'll be able to get in there better and look at that bolt and pulley. Also, my husband got a shock twice while trying to reach his hand down between the firewall and the air duct. I double checked the grounds again, brushed them off, and they all seem to be fine. I'm definitely running lean, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

Update: I replaced the passenger motor mount and OMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I didn't even recognize my car. Thanks, my_beautious_ZX3. I wanted to change out that mount, but I wasn't sure it was a priority. My car is so quiet now and no vibration at all. Now I can focus (no puns intended - HAHAHA) better on the other issues. I got a good look at the idler pulley and the bolt. The bolt actually goes into the head, not sure of it's purpose and, although it only has maybe an 1/8th inch clearance, it doesn't appear to be affecting the pulley at all. However, the pulley looks like crap and there's a real faint whine from the alternator, I think. I'll update as I figure things out. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by katchoo22; 02-04-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: update