Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - One Year Later - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #28
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I see this once in a while on here and other forums. People claiming to get only a few more mpg with their Focus than their old V6 or V8 4WD SUV under the same driving conditions. It's exceedingly hard (for me) to understand how that could be. Especially since my own experience with my last 4 cars on the same commute is that I got at or moderately above the EPA combined rating with all of them. I do think that modern cars are becoming tuned more and more just to maximize the EPA ratings for marketing purposes, at the expense of all-low or -high speed operation. But still...
It's the truth.

My average on the Focus for the first 6-7 months before they applied the transmission TSB was around 31.5MPG driving very conservatively. Driving the same way in my 2005 Cobalt (stick, bought in college) I averaged 32.5MPG. After the TSB? I averaged 27.5MPG driving the *exact* same way, over the exact same routes. My commute didn't change, neither did my social life. It's been pretty much the same since I bought the car (we have other cars used for other purposes).

Traded in the car and got a 2013 Accord Sport 6MT. I drive with ECON mode off at all times and, driving on the same routes, I average 30MPG. It's a bigger car with a bigger engine...and it gets better gas mileage.

The best part? While I used to drive the Focus like a granny I drive this thing like I normally drive...a bit heavier on the accel than I should. Even with that note, I still get 2-3MPG better. It's ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh, and it's not *just* electric steering that is the problem. My Accord Sport has all-electric steering and it has no troubles at all. It drives exactly how I'd expect it to.

The problem is that Ford now went the cheap route in their product. Kia and Hyundai do it in almost all of their cars (which is how they make a great profit selling cars for 1/3 less than the competition), and now Ford has followed suite. Ford used a *ton* of cheap parts in the new Focus, and it shows.