Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - advantages to turning off the esc?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acbauza View Post
Think long and hard before doing this. As an in-car driving instructor I never advise students to turn off traction control or stability control. The manufacturer puts it in there for a reason, because at some point all of us "run out of talent".
Maybe not the best place for this, but I have done in car for a long time and I am now an HPDE classroom instructor and my opinion is a little different. I do think that it serves a purpose for beginners, but every driver will eventually need to turn it off in order to learn. At the last BMW CCA I was a classroom instructor for, there was a long discussion amongst many of the instructors about how the A & B (advanced and advanced intermediate) students lack basic correction techniques because many of them have never driven without the driver aids. So when the track gets hot and slick (as often happens in the South in August) there is no change in how they drive. The car just slows itself down and they keep on driving as they did before.

So while I see your point, I also see the other side. There are times, on track, that I do advise turning the system off so that a student can get a better understanding of physics.
Rally Revolution #21